I've spent the last couple of weeks with my head down writing.
Working on administration side of an outreach program that will involve a small group of high school and university students. This has proved pretty time consuming, given than it's only one of many, many public programs planned for the year. A big portion of this is due to the fact that we're working with children - hence working with children checks, permission letters, medical info, risk assessment, fun fun.
I'm coming to see how much paperwork is involved in even what seems to be the smallest community engagement type of project. I have a bit of an idealistic belief in 'community based' planning, that public programs and almost any gallery activity should be community driven from the outset. Unfortunately this approach is incredibly hard to perfectly translate into reality - aside from heterogeneous groups and massive populations, the amount of permissions, consultation, data-gathering, mediation... Which is why I am more willing to understand there's a place both for sustained community engagement programs, as well as (well informed and flexible) 'top down' projects.
Working on administration side of an outreach program that will involve a small group of high school and university students. This has proved pretty time consuming, given than it's only one of many, many public programs planned for the year. A big portion of this is due to the fact that we're working with children - hence working with children checks, permission letters, medical info, risk assessment, fun fun.
I'm coming to see how much paperwork is involved in even what seems to be the smallest community engagement type of project. I have a bit of an idealistic belief in 'community based' planning, that public programs and almost any gallery activity should be community driven from the outset. Unfortunately this approach is incredibly hard to perfectly translate into reality - aside from heterogeneous groups and massive populations, the amount of permissions, consultation, data-gathering, mediation... Which is why I am more willing to understand there's a place both for sustained community engagement programs, as well as (well informed and flexible) 'top down' projects.
No comments:
Post a Comment