The second meeting for the 8x8 program was at the MCA on Saturday, with the 8 uni students from SCA and NAS, and 8 (minus 1) high school students from around Liverpool. The aim of the day was to develop participants' understanding of the Biennale of Sydney: all our relations, by viewing the exhibition at the MCA as well as proposing an exhibition concept in response to this year's theme. Participants were also put into pairs of uni:high school student in which they will make the final works for exhibition - so another key outcome was simply getting to know your collaborator and their artistic practice.
This turned out a really inspiring day, with high schoolers impressing me with how articulate and knowledgable they can be (interspersed with bouts of shyness, 'ummm...' and 'what she/he said') and uni students proving their ability to not only share control but act as encouraging mentors - putting a lot on the line by opening up their practice to another's input.
For me personally, I find this sort group activity really difficult and felt the day feeling a little lost. This is partly my own shyness and that I prefer to know what's going on before I jump in - being familiar with people, my head around the activity, aware of the intended outcomes, sure of the timeframe. I also struggle with blurred roles of facilitators, participants, staff etc. though this openness and shared responsibility is a really important part of the collaborating and shared learning process.
This turned out a really inspiring day, with high schoolers impressing me with how articulate and knowledgable they can be (interspersed with bouts of shyness, 'ummm...' and 'what she/he said') and uni students proving their ability to not only share control but act as encouraging mentors - putting a lot on the line by opening up their practice to another's input.
For me personally, I find this sort group activity really difficult and felt the day feeling a little lost. This is partly my own shyness and that I prefer to know what's going on before I jump in - being familiar with people, my head around the activity, aware of the intended outcomes, sure of the timeframe. I also struggle with blurred roles of facilitators, participants, staff etc. though this openness and shared responsibility is a really important part of the collaborating and shared learning process.
This experience sounds really engaging and exciting Eddie. The collaborative process is really important and great that the MCA and Casula are taking it on.
ReplyDeleteAs a high school art teacher, i know full well that high school students get so much out of these collaborative experiences. It really helps to strengthen their understanding and knowledge of how the artworld functions. What you are woking on sounds fantastic to attract and sustain young people to the artworld!!
The regional gallery that i am doing my internship with is really keen to set up somthing like the 8x8 project for the next Biennale. At the moment we are excited to have Bihn Danh (showing at the AGNSW in this Biennale) as an artist in residence at the gallery. He is running some high school holiday workshops that i was lucky enough to get one of my yr 11 students into... and she is loving it!
I look forward to reading about how the rest of your project goes.